The rectory was built in 1891 as a private home for the Nesmith family of Lowell, MA.
It was purchased in 1910 by Arthur Atwater Kent, the noted inventor who, among other things, invented the automobile ignition system and the first affordable radio. Kent named the home, “At Water’s Edge.” He subsequently acquired the land surrounding the home.
In 1970 a loan from the G.H. Walker Foundation made it possible for the church to purchase both the home and the property. The loan was repaid with a generous legacy gift from the Estate of Mrs. Margaret Woodbury Strong and from George Elliott (whose personal home had been used as the rectory prior to the church acquiring Atwater’s home).
The rectory has been restored and received modest renovations with an eye to preserving the original character and charm of this gracious summer home.